Protect Your Rights

Take Steps Protect Your Rights

If you are not yet a U.S. citizen and are living in the United States, it can be terrifying to hear reports of ICE arrests. Government agents have increased their searches at work sites, in neighborhoods or in area courthouses.

You cannot predict when a sweep occurs or prevent one from happening. However, what you do now can help in the future.

prepare for ice

Preparing For An ICE Sweep

  1. Meet with a qualified attorney who is licensed to defend you in court and sign paperwork on your behalf. Carry your attorney’s business card with you at all times.
  2. If you have children, create an emergency plan for them to follow in case you do not return home. Identify a trusted individual who will be responsible for watching them in your absence.
  3. Carry valid, government-issued identification.
  4. Memorize your alien number and make certain that your family members know this number as well. If you are detained, your family can use this identification number to locate you.
ice agent

If An ICE Agent Approaches You

  1. If you are at home and an agent asks to enter your house, do not allow the agent into your home unless the agent has a warrant.
  2. If you are questioned by an ICE agent, you do not need to share personal information, but you should not lie to an agent. Providing false information can create more problems.
  3. Do not sign any forms an ICE agent gives you without your attorney’s consent.
  4. You have a right to speak to your attorney. This is the time to use the contact information you have saved or memorized.
  5. Rely on a qualified lawyer to inform you of your rights, review the charges brought against you and identify your best options.

Our skilled attorneys at Roth & Weinstein, LLC have dedicated their legal careers to protecting immigrants in Nebraska and Iowa when they are struggling with legal issues. We create legal strategies for complex immigration matters that include bond hearings for ICE detentions and removal proceedings.

Call us to get a consultation about your case

(402) 800-6690